Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fleur de lis

 
 
 
Word Origin & History

fleur-de-lis
also fleur de lis , mid-14c., from O.Fr., lit. "flower of the lily," especially borne as a heraldic device on the royal arms of France. Perhaps originally representing an iris, or the head of a scepter, or a weapon of some sort.
source-- dictionary.com 
 
The fleur de lis is everywhere these days. It is used on many home decor items (especially iron work), paintings, t-shirts and other apparel and of course the New Orleans Saints football team.  So, of course I wanted to find out exactly where this symbol originated.
Not surprisingly finding out that it originated in France, but surprisingly that it was used on the French royal family's coat of arms. Just knowing that each time I see this symbol it is significant of the French royal family will remind me of how important history is in our everyday lives. I am sure there will people who will still see the fleur de lis and think... New Orleans Saints...my favorite iron piece in my house...that t-shirt with that funny quote on the back, or whatever the fluer de lis brings to your mind. I will think, I wonder if my ancestry dates back to the French royal family. Always a dreamer :)   

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home